I’ve been looking forward to our trip to Tampa for MONTHS now!!! Hubs and I got tickets to see his favorite band: Incubus. The concert was going to take place in Tampa-which was also the place where our friends Sophia & Jeff moved to last year. We hadn’t seen them since our wedding last October so I was excited to be heading to their neck of the woods. We decided to meet up for an early dinner before the concert. Unfortunately Jeff had to work but I had a BLAST chatting it up with Sophia and catching up- it had seriously felt like FOREVER since we had last had such a fun and long conversation.
I knew I wanted to bake her something and when she told me her favorite cake flavor was chocolate I immediately knew which recipe I was wanted to make. After thinking about it for a little bit I decided I also wanted to decorate the cupcakes like sunflowers, as I had seen in other blogs recently.
I used the Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake & Frosting recipe. I’ve heard so many wonderful things about these recipe from the girls on the cooking blog I frequent. I actually halved the original recipes since I didn’t need 30 cupcakes, but I’ve posted the original recipes below:
Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING(recipe follows)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans. I baked this in a regular cupcake pan and got about 15 cupcakes.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING.
“PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
I then used a store bought vanilla frosting which I tinted yellow and added some meringue powder to, to get a thick/stiff consistency. Using the round #20 tip I piped on the chocolate frosting in small “dots” in the center of each cupcake.
Then I used a star tip (I believe it was #21??) to pipe the flower petals on. The entire process was SUPER easy and didn’t even take much time.
Afterwards I used a toothpick to draw the spots on red M&Ms to resemble little ladybugs. I really think they came out super cute.
Special thanks to JoJoEspana from the WC board for her helpful tips on making these cupcakes.